Introduction to AWS (Amazon Web Services) Cloud
To understand AWS (Amazon Web Services) Cloud, one must know about Cloud Computing.
What is Cloud Computing?
The term cloud refers to the Internet or Network.
The Cloud Computing provides us a way by which we can access the applications as utilities over the internet network.
Cloud Computing allows user to create,modify, configure as well as customize the applications online. To understand Cloud Computing in more details refer Cloud Computing.
What is AWS (Amazon Web Services) Cloud?
AWS (Amazon Web Services) Cloud is a platform that offers flexible, reliable, scalable, easy-to-use and cost-effective cloud computing solutions.
AWS is a comprehensive as well as easy to use computing platform offered by Amazon. This platform is developed with a combination of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and packaged Software as a Service (SaaS) offerings.
History of Amazon Web Services
The history of Amazon Web Services consists of various development phases of Amazon which include following important points:
- The Amazon Web Services was launched in 2002.
- Amazon launched its cloud products in 2006
- Its first Customer event was held in 2012.
- The year 2015 revealed revenue achievement of $4.6 billion.
- In the year 2016, Amazon surpassed $10 billion revenue target.
- Also in year 2016, released snowball and snowmobile.
- Now in 2019, Amazon offers nearly 100 cloud services.
Important AWS Cloud Services
Amazon offers a wide range of different business purpose global cloud-based products. These cloud based products include storage, databases, analytics, networking, mobile, development tools, enterprise applications, with a pay-as-you-go pricing model (pay for whatever you make use of). Some of the important Amazon Cloud services are:
In the above image, compute, security, management tools, storage, messaging, database, migration, networking and analytics are the important as well as essential AWS services.
Applications of AWS Cloud services
Amazon Web Services cloud platform is widely used for various computing purposes. Some of the important applications of AWS cloud services are listed as follows:
- Website hosting
- Application hosting(SaaS hosting).
- Media Sharing (Image/ Video).
- Mobile as well as Social Applications.
- Content delivery and Media Distribution.
- Storage, backup and disaster recovery.
- Development and test environments.
- Academic Computing.
- Search Engines.
- Social Networking.
Companies using AWS Cloud
There are numerous companies worldwide which are using AWS Cloud. Some of them are:
Instagram, Zoopla, Smugmug, Pinterest, Netflix, Dropbox, Etsy, Talkbox, Playfish, facebook, twitter, Adobe, BBC,twitch, Ftopia etc.
Based on monthly spend, here are the top 10 Amazon AWS customers:
Netflix – $19 million
Twitch – $15 million
LinkedIn – $13 million
Facebook – $11 million
Turner Broadcasting – $10 million
BBC – $9 million
Baidu – $9 million
ESPN – $8 million
Adobe – $8 million
Twitter – $7 million
The above monthly costs are estimated with the Intricately’s global sensor network that monitors traffic flow from users, to service providers (AWS), to companies (Netflix, etc). Traffic volume is then mapped against prices charged by the service providers.
Advantages of using AWS
There are various pros of using AWS Cloud services:
- AWS allows the organizations to use the already familiar programming models, operating systems, databases, and architectures.
- It is a cost-effective service that allows you to pay only for what you use, without any up-front or long-term commitments.
- You will not require to spend money on running and maintaining data centers.
- Offers fast deployment process.
- You can easily add or remove capacity.
- You are allowed to access cloud quickly with limitless capacity.
- Total cost of ownership is very low as compared to any private/dedicated servers.
- Offers centralized billing and the management.
- Offers the hybrid capabilities.
- Allow you to deploy your application in multiple regions around the world with just a few clicks.
Disadvantages of using AWS
- If you need fast or more immediate or intensive assistance, you’ll have to opt for paid support packages.
- AWS (Amazon Web Services) may have some common cloud computing issues when you move to a cloud. For example, downtime, limited control and backup protection.
- AWS (Amazon Web Services) sets default limits on resources which differ from region to region. These resources consist of images, volumes and snapshots.
- Hardware-level changes happen to your application which may not offer the best performance as well as usage of your applications.
Best practices of AWS
- These is a need to design for failure, but nothing will fail.
- It’s important to decouple all your components before using the AWS services.
- You need to keep the dynamic data closer to compute and the static data closer to the user.
- It’s important to know security and performance tradeoffs while using AWS services.
- You must pay for computing capacity by the hourly payment method.
- Need to make a habit of a one-time payment for each instance you want to reserve and to receive a significant discount on the hourly charge.